Worthing to fall silent to mark Tunisia terrorist attack

A beach in Tunisia close to the scene of last week's terrorist attack
A beach in Tunisia close to the scene of last week's terrorist attack

WORTHING will come to a standstill today (July 3) to pay tribute to those killed during the brutal terrorist attack in Tunisia this time last week.

The town will be holding a minute of silence at midday to mark the tragedy, which left 30 British nationals dead making it the worst terrorist attack on the nation since the July 7 bombings in 2005.

The deputy chairman of Adur District Council, councillor Ann Bridges, and the deputy mayor of Worthing, councillor Sean McDonald, will be marking the minute on the steps of Worthing Town Hall, in Chapel Road.

A spokesman for the council said: “You are invited to join them in this reflection on those who lost their lives and the families and friends who are now living with this tragedy.”

The nationwide silence comes a week after the shooting on a beach in Sousse which saw gunman Seiffedine Rezgui walk on to the El Kantaoui resort and open fire, killing 38 people.

Rezqui was killed by Tunisian police not long after beginning his callous killing spree.

So far the bodies of 17 victims have been repatriated all being flown to RAF Brize Norton.

More are expected to return on today and tomorrow.

The Tunisian authorities have arrested a number of people in connection with the shooting, which is believed to have been organised by terrorist group Islamic State (IS).

Yesterday saw a response from the Government’s defence minister Michael Fallon who urged Parliament to support stepping up the UK’s aerial bombing campaign against IS fighters in Syria.

Speaking in the House of Commons yesterday, Mr Fallon told MPs they should ‘be in absolutely no doubt the people who perpetrated the murders of our constituents are going to be tracked down, whether they’re in Libya, Syria or anywhere else’.

The RAF is currently supporting allied forces in bombing strategic IS strongholds in Iraq.

Previously, the Prime Minister David Cameron ruled out a ground assault by British troops in either Iraq or Syria.