Whilst it is indeed good news that Stagecoach South are looking to move from their Library Place depot, I rather suspect that the comment from Sharon Clarke, of the Worthing Town Centre Initiative, that they see this as an opportunity for South Street to be fully pedestrianised, will leave local bus users wondering where the bus terminus might then be sited!
Although the seafront is used by Stagecoach for their through routes that do not terminate in Worthing, I know from my time as a Southdown employee in the 60s that it is a far from satisfactory arrangement in wet and windy weather conditions and also does not have the convenient access to the main shopping areas that South Street has!
To this regular bus user there appears only one convenient alternative, and that is the short term surface car park in Liverpool Gardens/Road, that also has the potential to allow for provision of a proper covered bus station.
However, to ensure that northbound buses would not be delayed returning to Chapel Road, it would also then require through traffic from Shelley Road to be barred.
• Want to share your views? Send your letters by email or post them to Letters, Worthing Herald, Cannon House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1NA. Remember to include your full name and address.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.