We were close friends for so many years:
I grew to love your quirkiness, your foibles and your fears.
So believe me when I say I’m speaking from the heart
– a place of real caring –
But I don’t know where to start...
Perhaps, to begin with, your need for some attention,
Though please understand it is not my intention
To criticise, to challenge, much less to undermine
It just saddens me to notice
That you’re looking less than fine.
The pomp and the circumstance,
If I’m brutally frank, seems quite weary to me.
Your pier and your promenade were noble in their day
And even decades later, when I used to walk that way
But lately, you look tired, in need of respite care
Especially if you’ve only the winter to repair.
I’d love to see you healthy from your coastline to the station
But, frankly, what I saw today was clear depreciation:
Shop units everywhere available to lease
As though you’ve been raided by the Retail Police;
Charity shops abounding to rival George Street, Hove –
Which frankly shouldn’t be the way you have to go;
Ninety-nine-p and pound stores that rival any city –
If this is really all you’ve got, well isn’t that a pity.
Don’t misunderstand me – I get the economics
High culture and money are pretty hard to mix
But nonetheless you must have some creative resolve
A single spark is all it takes to problem solve...
Come on Worthing Council, let’s hear you respond
Before your star attraction
Rusts into the pond.
• Want to share your views? Send your letters by email or post them to Letters, Worthing Herald, Cannon House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1NA. Remember to include your full name and address.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.