This heating pad has been pulled from Amazon after it caught fire and killed four kittens

This heating pad has been pulled from Amazon after it caught fire and killed four kittens
Four Sphynx kittens from a litter of five were killed after the heating pad went on fire (Photo: Shutterstock)

Four kittens have died after a heating pad caught fire, with only one of the litter of five surviving the blaze.

The HUAYUU pet heating pad was purchased from Amazon Marketplace by Belinda Carr, from Telford, Shropshire, for £15.99 to keep her newborn Sphynx kittens warm.

A smell of ‘burnt sugar’

Just a few hours after the product arrived, Carr was woken by the kittens’ mother, Vito, in the middle of the night, who came and rubbed her face – something the cat doesn’t normally do.

Carr recalls being hit with the smell of ‘burnt sugar’ and after going to investigate, found the pad and carpet had caught fire.

Four of the five three-day old kittens had died from the heat.

The remaining kitten, named Monto, was able to be rescued after the pad was unplugged and thrown into the bath.

The heating pad and carpet caught fire, killing four of the five newly born kittens (Photo: Amazon)
The heating pad and carpet caught fire, killing four of the five newly born kittens (Photo: Amazon)

The devastated owner explained to the Metro: “It was dreadful, honest to god. Thank god she woke me up – if she didn’t I would have been gone with my house. I’m devastated.

“I tested it beforehand to make sure it was safe before I went to bed.

“One of my cats started to rub my face. I thought she just wanted attention so I told her to go to bed, but she kept going.

“I smelt a weird smell like burnt sugar before I turned the lights on to see the heat mat and the carpet was on fire.

“It’s heartbreaking to see Vito like this. She carries the last kitten, Monto, with her all the time and is constantly looking for the other kittens meowing.

“She’s heartbroken. It’s her first litter.”

Angry customers

Ms Carr explained she has been a loyal customer with Amazon for many years and is frustrated the company are making money out of products which are hazardous and not safe for use.

Her son, Chris Gould, 32, also hit out at the company, expressing his anger at Amazon allowing companies to sell products which don’t meet the British safety standard.

Amazon said all Marketplace sellers who don't follow their guidelines will be subject to action and potential removal of their account (Photo: Shutterstock)
Amazon said all Marketplace sellers who don’t follow their guidelines will be subject to action and potential removal of their account (Photo: Shutterstock)

A spokesman for Amazon, said: “We are deeply saddened by this incident and are in touch with the customer.

“The product, bought from a third party seller, is no longer available.

“All Marketplace sellers must follow our selling guidelines and those who don’t will be subject to action, including potential removal of their account.”

Not an isolated incident

The heating pad isn’t the only item purchased from Amazon that has caught fire, with other customers suffering similar experiences.

Last year a family in California had their house burned down and their two dogs were killed after the battery in a hoverboard they had purchased caught fire.

Similarly, there have been reports of laptop batteries, portable chargers and hair dryers which have all gone up in flames.