Campbell-Ryce's late strike denies Crawley victory

Jamal Campbell-Ryce struck two minutes from time to deny Crawley Town a third successive League 2 win on the road this afternoon.

Saturday, 11th March 2017, 5:17 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:00 am
Enzio Boldewijn netted for Crawley Town this afternoon.

Efforts in each half from Rhys Murphy - his first since rejoining the club in January - and a Enzio Boldewijn strike had fired Reds ahead twice.

But Barnet bounced back on both occasions getting level courtesy of Simeon Akinola and Campbell-Ryce goals as it ended 2-2 at The Hive Stadium.

Crawley made one change from the team that lost to Portsmouth on Tuesday with Conor Henderson replacing Josh Payne in the starting XI.

After a quiet opening 15 minutes, a mazy run from Simeon Akinola created the first real chance of the afternoon. A clever advance saw him beat three Crawley players and surge into the area but Glen Morris was equal to his effort.

Having failed to muster any efforts on the Barnet goal early on, Reds went ahead on the half-hour. Neat work from Enzio Boldewijn saw him cut in from the right, before firing a pass into Murphy who took a touch and fired under the onrushing Benji Buchel.

Barnet weren't behind for long, though, with Akinola grabbing a sensational leveller seven minutes before the break. Jamal Campbell-Ryce's teasing cross was fired home courtesy of a spectacular 15-yard overhead-kick from the wideman.

The Bees could well have gone ahead less than two minutes later but Ruben Bover's delicious delivery from a free-kick on the left touchline failed to get a finishing touch.

Campbell-Ryce contiuned to cause Crawley problems down the left with another cross almost resulting in a second goal for the home side five minutes after the break. The former Bristol City and Barnsley winger picked out Michael Nelson whose header sailed just over.

Reds were then back in front three minutes later, following some determined play from Boldewijn. The winger, who teed up Murphy's opener, powered past Johnson before slotting home from a tight-angle to fire his side back ahead.

Once again Barnet responded well after going a goal behind with Charlie Clough coming close to getting them level 20 minutes from time. The right-back went on a rampaging run from, before unleashing a fierce 25-yard drive which fizzed across the face of goal.

Clough then spurned another good opening on 84 minutes. He worked some room in the area but blazed well over from 12-yards out.

With time running out, Campbell-Ryce then wriggled some room with his cross-shot finding the top corner as it ended 2-2.

CRAWLEY TOWN: Morris; Lelan, McNerney, Connolly, Young; Boldewijn, Smith, Henderson, Cox; Murphy, Collins. Subs: Mersin, Payne (Murphy, 80), Blackman, Yorweth, Bawling (Boldewijn, 67), Clifford, Djalo.