Dawes at the double in Rebels’ win

Worthing boss Adam Hinshelwood
Worthing boss Adam Hinshelwood
  • Lloyd Dawes scores twice in the final 14 minutes
  • Chipstead get a late goal back but Rebels hold on to win
  • Worthing climb a place to sixth, one point behind fifth-placed Whyteleafe

LLOYD DAWES scored twice in the final 15 minutes to give Worthing Football Club a 2-1 win at home to Chipstead this afternoon.

Dawes gave Rebels the lead in the Ryman League South Division match after 76 minutes, before he scored his second just two minutes later. The visitors pulled a late goal back but Worthing held on to win.

Rebels had a great chance to take the lead after just three minutes when Ben Pope got clean through but he fired his shot straight at Chipstead keeper Milan Stojsavljevic from 12 yards.

The visitors’ Will Turl then had a close-range effort tipped over by Worthing stopper Jack Fagan on 11 minutes.

Chipstead’s Shaun Preddie was booked for fouling Pope when he looked to break through on 15 minutes as a covering defender spared the red card.

Chances were few and far between in the first half, although Rebels almost went ahead on 40 minutes but Omar Bugiel’s header from Curtis Gayler’s corner was well saved by Stojsavljevic, diving low to his left.

Dawes gave Rebels the lead in the Ryman League South Division match after 76 minutes, before he scored his second just two minutes later.

Adam Hinshelwood’s Rebels side had the ball in the net on 52 minutes but the effort was ruled out for offside. Bugiel lifted the ball over the Chipstead defence and Dawes ran on to it but the assistant referee flagged Pope, who did not touch the ball, offside. The whistle went before Dawes slotted the ball home but Worthing’s players were furious that play was not allowed to continue.

Chipstead’s Emmanuel Akonhia should have given the visitors the lead on 57 minutes but he shot straight at Fagan, after Nemi Mole had let the ball run to his team-mate.

Pope broke clear four minutes later but Rebels’ striker waited too long to get his shot off, which allowed Kay Osei to get back and let the ball run to Stojsavljevic.

Bugiel then had an opportunity on 66 minutes but opted to pass instead of shoot and the Chipstead defence cleared the danger. Bugiel went close again on 71 minutes when he met Gayler’s corner but his downward header bounced over the bar.

Rebels took the lead on 76 minutes when Bugiel played through subsitute Jaz Rance, who unselfishly squared the ball for Dawes to tap into the empty net from eight yards.

Just two minutes later, Dawes got his second when he fired home from close range after Bugiel challenged Stojsavljevic.

Dawes went close to completing his hat-trick five minutes from time but shot just wide of the far post after Rance pulled the ball back.

The visitors got a goal back with a minute to go when Andrew Dalehouse played through Turl, who slid in to square the ball for Derek Tieku, who tapped the ball into the empty net from six yards.

Chipstead almost snatched an equaliser in injury-time but Dalehouse’s well-hit 25-yard strike was well saved by Fagan, diving high to his right. Tieku went close as well in stoppage time, when he shot just the wrong side of the post from 15 yards,