East Preston fail to build on derby win as Swans get late winner

AFTER a tremendous 5-2 win at Littlehampton on Saturday, East Preston Football Club really should have got back-to-back wins on Tuesday evening but lost 2-1 at home to Storrington.

EP totally dominated the first half of the County League Division 2 clash but failed to deliver the killer ball or take the chances that were on offer to them, and it came back to haunt them in the final minute of the first period. A clumsy lunge by Danny Hand on the industrious Tim Martin saw the visitors awarded a penalty. Martin sent keeper Guy Souch the wrong way with what proved to be the final kick of the half and Hand received a yellow card as a result of his protests.

It was Swans’ only shot of the half having watched EP hit the base of the post through Adam Wilds shortly after Andy Bainbridge’s shot had been cleared off the line by Sam Elliott and his rebound thwarted by Gary Elliott in the Swans’ goal.

The second half saw the visitors look more threatening but without ever creating any clear chances, the only exception being Kristian Harding grazing the bar with an ambitious chip.

With just 12 minutes to play, EP levelled the scores. A corner was only half cleared, Aaron Farrier picked up the loose ball and got to the by-line, crossed to Wilds who nodded home from a yard.

It was in the final minute that Swans were awarded a free kick for handball on the edge of the area against Matt Windsor. Substitute Craig Grantham’s scuffed effort managed to sneak into the far corner and put the visitors back in front. There was only time for Mark Burgess to get sent off for what appeared to be an innocuous second yellow card (the first being for dissent), although arguably he was lucky to still be on the pitch at that stage.

EP assistant manager Andy Preddy said: “I thought we played some good football at times tonight but didn’t bury our chances. We give away too many silly fouls as a team and that’s what cost us in the end”.

EAST PRESTON: Souch, Campbell, Banfield, Hand, Windsor; Charman, Bainbridge, Wilds, Burgess; Farrier, Lawson; Subs: Sutcliffe (Lawson 48), Davies (Campbell 73 mins), McLeod, Moss, Curtis.