Football round-up (August 31)

editorial image
Share this article

EAST Preston and Shoreham football clubs are both through to the first qualifying round of the FA Cup.

EP were 3-1 victors at Colliers Wood United in the preliminary round on Saturday as Charlie Farmer scored a brace and Matt Axell was also on target. They will head to Chatham Town in the next round.

Mussels won 2-1 at home to Ryman League South Division side Walton Casuals with goals from Rob O’Toole and Elliott Quant. Shoreham will travel to Dulwich Hamlet in the next round.

Worthing crashed out of the competition with a 5-1 defeat to fellow Ryman League South Division side Faversham.

Rebels had Charlie Cooke sent off early on and the hosts took a sixth-minute lead from the penalty spot.

Kieron Pamment equalised on 42 minutes but Faversham led 2-1 at half-time and then netted three times in the second half.

Littlehampton entertain Greenwich Borough in their preliminary round tie on Sunday (September 1, 3pm).

Arundel lost 4-3 at division-lower Oakwood in the Sussex RUR Cup first round. The game was level at 1-1 at half-time, before they hosts scored three in the first ten minutes of the second half to lead 4-1.

Mullets got two goals back but were unable to force an equaliser.

Dave Herbert, with two, and James Wotherspoon scored for Arundel.

Mile Oak lost 4-1 at division-higher Horsham YMCA in the second round of the John O’Hara Cup. Mark O’Regan was on target for Oak.

Steyning Town moved top of County League Division 2 with a 4-1 win at Saltdean. Adam Burton scored twice and Alfie Gritt and Mo Shuga’a also netted.

Ash Harper struck a hat-trick as Wick & Barnham United won 4-3 at Little Common. Sam Enticott struck United’s other goal.

Joe Warner was on target for Storrington in their 1-1 draw with Loxwood, while Rustington went down 1-0 at Midhurst.

Barney Boutwood scored a late equaliser for Ferring in their 1-1 draw at home to Hurstpierpoint in Division 3.

Clymping were 2-1 winners at Southwick in the same division as Ben Bishop and Nathan Peacock scored. Neil Munday was Wickers’ scorer.

Results (August 31) - FA Cup, extra-preliminary round: Chipstead 3-2 Rye United; Colliers Wood 1-3 East Preston; Dorking Wands 0-0 Hassocks; Eastbourne United 2-2 Herne Bay; Shoreham 2-1 Walton Casuals; Faversham 5-1 Worthing.

Sussex RUR Cup 1st round: Oakwood 4-3 Arundel. 2nd round: Seaford 1-2 East Grinstead.

John O’Hara Cup, 2nd round: Horsham YMCA 4-1 Mile Oak; Pagham 5-0 Haywards Heath; Selsey 1-0 Broadbridge Heath.

County League, Div 1: Ringmer 1-2 Newhaven.

Div 2: AFC Uckfield 0-2 Bexhill; Little Common 3-4 Wick & Barnham; Midhurst 1-0 Rustington; Saltdean 1-4 Steyning Town; Storrington 1-1 Loxwood.

Div 3: Ferring 1-1 Hurstpierpoint; Langney Wands 4-1 Ifield; Roffey 3-0 Billingshurst; Southwick 1-2 Clymping; Uckfield Town 2-0 Rottingdean Village.

Reserve Section, Premier: St Francis 1-3 Selsey.

East Division: Hailsham 6-1 Hurstpierpoint; Haywards Heath 0-0 Lancing; Newhaven 0-3 Southwick.

West Division: Broadbridge Heath 2-1 Roffey.