Harrow inflict heaviest home league defeat of the season on Worthing

Harvey Sparks played the full 90 minutes in Worthing's defeat this evening. Picture by Stephen Goodger
Harvey Sparks played the full 90 minutes in Worthing's defeat this evening. Picture by Stephen Goodger

Worthing Football Club fell to their heaviest home Ryman League Premier Division defeat of the season at the hands of Harrow Borough this evening.

George Nicholas netted in first-half stoppage-time, before three goals in a crazy six-minute spell in the second, sent Worthing crashing to a 4-0 loss at Woodside Road.

Worthing were looking to bounce back following losses against AFC Sudbury and Enfield Town but a lacklustre showing saw them suffer a third straight reverse.

Any hopes of a play-off place now look unlikely with Worthing, in tenth, trailing fifth-placed Leiston by six points and they have four games in hand.

Clever work from Harrow forward Sahr Kabba engineered the first chance on ten minutes. The former Lincoln City striker outmuscled Corey Heath, then teased a cross for strike partner Marc Charles-Smith, which just evaded him.

Worthing's first real opening of the evening came five minutes later. After a quick break, the ball fell kindly to Aaron Hopkinson on the edge but his drilled effort flew wide of the far post.

Hopkinson's pace was causing Harrow's backline problems and he teed up Lloyd Dawes on the half-hour. Clever work from Hopkinson saw him wriggle some room down the left, then pull back for Dawes who blazed just over from 12 yards.

A fine block from Heath ensured the scores remained level four minutes later - Kabba unleashed an effort - which was destined for the bottom corner, only for Heath to get a vital block and deflect his strike wide.

Confusion in Worthing's backline so nearly handed Harrow the lead five minutes before the break. Kabba was quickest to react after Waller and Hallard missed the ball, before rounding Thorp, but Hallard made a great recovering tackle to prevent Kabba.

Joshua Webb's 30-yard free-kick then missed everyone on 44 minutes but struck a post, before Borough went ahead a minute into first-half stoppage-time. Michael Bryan's cross picked out George Nicholas and he fired past Thorp.

Thorp pulled off a fine stop to keep the scores level on the hour. Andy Lomas' cross picked out Charles-Smith, whose header looked destined for the bottom corner but Thorp pulled off a fine save at full stretch.

Worthing were struggling defensively and Harrow cut them open seven minutes later. The ball eventually fell for Charles-Smith, whose shot was saved by Thorp, then Kabba blazed over the rebound from all of six yards.

Harrow's pressure was finally rewarded with a second goal 13 minutes from time. Thorp could only parry a Kabba effort into Charles-Smith's path, he then pulled back with Bryan on hand to fire into the top corner.

Things got worse for Worthing as Harrow netted a second in just three minutes. Kabba cruised past Heath, before pulling back for Kurtis Cumberbatch to fire past Thorp.

A crazy six-minute spell was then completed with Harrow hitting a fourth. Kabba got in behind and slotted home for the travelling side as they ran out 4-0 victors.

Worthing make the trip to Staines Town in the league on Saturday.

WORTHING: Thorp; Waller, Elphick, Heath, Rents; Wills, Hallard; Hopkinson, Ajiboye, Sparks, Dawes. Subs: O'Neill, Clark (Ajiboye, 62), Edwards (Edwards, 78), Brodie (Hopkinson, 81), Belward.