Late Dawes strike sinks Sittingbourne

Lloyd Dawes
Lloyd Dawes

WORTHING FOOTBALL CLUB returned to winning ways as a late Lloyd Dawes strike proved decisive against Sittingbourne in the Ryman League South on Wednesday.

WORTHING FOOTBALL CLUB returned to winning ways as a late Lloyd Dawes strike proved decisive against Sittingbourne on Wednesday.

Rebels had suffered a dissapointing result and performance at home to Ramsgate the previous Saturday, but they controlled this encounter from virtually start to finish and secured all three points.

It took them until 13 minutes from time to finally break the deadlock though when Dawes netted his fourth of the season from close range and ultimately settle the contest.

Worthing manager Adam Hinshelwood was pleased with his team’s performance, and said:

“The team played well tonight, with good football and a lot of chances created.

“We had to stay patient and work hard for the win, but it’s an important three points and I was pleased with the response of the players after Saturday.

“Ramsgate outplayed us and were stronger than us on our own turf, but tonight the players all performed well and it was a deserved win.

“On Saturday we now have a very tough game away at Chelmsford in the FA Cup, but we go there with belief that we can cause a shock and progress.”

Rebels started brightly and went close twice early on through Brannon O’Neill who headed wide from George Hayward’s free-kick before the latter scooped the ball over from close range after a Trevor McCreadie cut-back.

McCreadie fired into the side netting whilst Hicham Akhazzan had a well-hit drive go narrowly over the bar for the visitors.

In a frantic start, Sittingbourne then thought they had gone ahead against the run of play on 24 minutes.

Oliver Brown’s header came back off a post and George Crimmen headed home the rebound, only to be denied by the linesman’s flag.

Worthing almost went in front four minutes before the interval when Dawes met a Harvey Sparks cross on the volley, but Sittingbourne keeper Adam Molloy produced a fine save to turn the ball around the post.

After half-time, the pattern of the game continued in a similar fashion as Rebels carved out the majority of chances.

Omar Bugiel and Dawes were both denied by two more excellent stops from Molloy, and Bugiel then should have done better but could only pull his effort wide from just outside the penalty area.

George Hayward’s well-struck shot was scrambled off the line by Matt Harden as Rebels continued to press for a seemingly elusive winner.

It looked as though Rebels had finally broken the deadlock on 68 minutes when McCreadie bundled in, but he was flagged offside and the hosts’ frustrations grew.

The breakthrough was not long in coming, though, and what turned out to be the winning goal arrived 13 minutes from time.

Bugiel ran through from midfield and could have gone for goal himself, but instead he unselfishly squared to Dawes who slotted in from close range.

From then on, Rebels saw out the game in relative comfort and secured their first home league win of the season ahead of their trip to Chelmsford this coming Saturday.

WORTHING: Fagan; Piper. Hurley, Nicholls, Hendon; Bugiel, Hayward, O’Neill, Sparks; McCreadie, Dawes. Subs: Laing, Berry (Dawes, Hayward 78), Peake (Bugiel 84), Killner, Gayler.