Late leveller denies Worthing victory

Frankie Chappell struck three minutes into second half stoppage-time to deny Worthing Football Club all three points in the Ryman League Premier Division at Woodside Road this afternoon.

Saturday, 8th October 2016, 7:25 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 1:34 am
Lloyd Dawes bagged a brace in Worthing's home draw this afternoon. Picture: Stephen Goodger

A brace from Lloyd Dawes and Harvey Sparks’ strike had looked to have given Worthing victory but in the end they were held to a 3-3 home draw at the hands of Folkestone Invicta.

Worthing were looking to make it two home league victories in just four days following a win Merstham last time out but they could only come away with a point.

Sparks had given his side an early lead but back came the visitors to turn things around five minutes after the break.

Dawes’ brace in seven second half minutes had looked to have given Worthing the win, but Chappell’s late effort ensured it ended all square.

Worthing made two changes from Tuesday’s 1-0 home victory over Merstham with Omar Bugiel and Corey Heath coming in for Zack Newton and Jack Cook.

Folkestone somehow managed to stay level with a couple of goalline blocks in succcession on five minutes. Omar Bugiel won the ball back before seeing an effort saved by Tim Roberts, he then pulled back on the rebound with Dawes, then Brannon O’Neill seeing shots blocked on the line.

Worthing took a deserved lead seven minutes later, Ross Edwards’ perfectly weighted pass sent Kane Wills racing clear, he then composed himself before squaring for Sparks to slot home.

Joe Taylor got his side back into the contest after levelling things up on 20 minutes. Sloppy defending from the home side allowed Taylor in behind, his shot beat Rikki Banks and was diverted into his own net by Matt Boiling as he attempted to a clearance on the line.

Bugiel came close to firing Worthing back ahead less than a minute later, Lloyd Dawes found his strike partner, Bugiel then saw his strike tipped onto the crossbar by Roberts.

Folkestone completed the turnaround five minutes after the break, Callum Davies’ volley was parried away by Rikki Banks but straight into Anthony O’Connor’s path and he headed home on the rebound.

But back came Worthing and they were level ten minutes later. Great work from Will Hendon saw him beat two players, then pick out Dawes, whose turn and shot went in via a deflection off Frankie Chappell.

Worthing were then handed a perfect opportunity to go ahead for a second time with a spot-kick awarded after Dawes and Chappell clashed in the area. Dawes dusted himself down and slammed the penalty home on 67 minutes to fire his side 3-2 in front.

O’Connor came within a touch of levelling things up less than a minute later. Ronnie Dolan’s acrobatic effort flashed across the face, with O’Connor unable to get a finishing touch on his strike.

With time running out, Chapell was on hand to bundle home following a melee as Folkestone grabbed a late leveller three minutes into time added on.

WORTHING: Banks; Hendon, Heath, Boiling, Rents; WIlls, O’Neill, Edwards; Bugiel; Dawes. Subs: Axell (Dawes, 73), Newton (Edwards, 56), Brodie, Cook (O’Neill, 87), Fagan.