Local football round-up (September 7)

A NUMBER of our local sides progressed into the second qualifying round of the FA Vase yesterday (Saturday, September 7).

Shoreham won through after turning around a 1-0 half-time deficit to beat Horsham YMCA 2-1 thanks to goals from Carl Dunk and Elliot Quant.

Littlehampton won 2-0 at Selsey thanks to second-half goals from Ben Gray and Liam Humphries, despite having Scott Packer sent off.

Southwick also went through as they beat Saltdean 4-2 after extra-time thanks to a hat-trick from Marcus Strevens.

The home side led 2-0 after 20 minutes thanks to goals from Tom O’Donnell and Eddie Noel, before Strevens and Dean Lipscombe were both on target before half-time. After a scoreless second half, Strevens hit a brace in extra-time to help Wickers advance.

Steyning Town, however, crashed out as they were defeat 2-0 at The Shooting Field by Ashford Town.

The tie between Mile Oak and Arundel ended in a 1-1 draw after an own goal cancelled out Rory Biggs’ 14th-minute goal. The replay will be at Mill Road on Tuesday.

Lancing advanced into the second round of the Sussex Senior Cup with a 2-0 victory at Rustington. Alex Howell and Dom Shephered netted for Lancers.

East Preston got their defence of the cup off to a fine start with a 7-2 second-round win at Little Common.

Liam Baitup hit four, Shaheen Sadough netted a brace and Joe Shelley was also on target for EP.

Storrington recorded a superb win in the second round of the John O’Hara Cup as they overcame Eastbourne United 3-2.

Joe Warner (two) and Kelvin Hobden netted for Swans.

In the same round, a late turn-around saw Worthing United overcome Wick & Barnham United.

United led 2-0 at half-time through Mark Pedrick and Ash Harper, before a Sam Blundell brace levelled things early in the second half.

Wayne Joseph then fired the visitors ahead, and, although United captain Matt Noble pulled the score back to 3-3, Ryan Bradley hit a late winner, but was then sent off, as was Jay Tidy as the visitors finished with nine men.

In County League Division 3, Ferring recorded their first win of the season, beating Ifield 4-1.

Josey Stakim, Joe Matthews, Ross Fraser and Matt Searle all netted.

Clymping, however, went down 3-2 at home to Roffey. Damon Aston put the visitors 2-0 after just six minutes before Ben Bishop pulled a goal back three minutes later.

In the second half, Ben Bissett restored Roffey’s two-goal lead before Bishop netted again late on.

Worthing’s four-game unbeaten run in the South Divsion of the Ryman League came to an end with a 3-0 defeat at Sittingbourne.

Joe Taylor put the hosts ahead in the 21st minute, Ryan Golding doubled their lead from the penalty spot on the hour mark, before Hicham Akhazzan added a third with 13 minutes left.

Rebels had previously drawn three and won one of their last four league matches.