Mavericks just one win from promotion

Scott Hunt netted in Worthing United's win at Westfield on Saturday
Scott Hunt netted in Worthing United's win at Westfield on Saturday

WORTHING UNITED Football Club are just one win away from securing promotion from County League Division 2.

United moved nine points clear at the top-of-the-table with their victory at Westfield on Saturday.

Wick & Barnham, who occupy second spot, were held to a 1-1 draw at bottom club Seaford and United now need just two more points to seal a top-three finish.

Mavericks boss Nigel Geary has been delighted with his side’s campaign and feels the squad’s hard work is being rewarded.

He said: “We need just one more win now to guarantee promotion.

“It’s been a remarkable season for myself and the team.

“This is my first year in County League management, so to have done what we have is fantastic.

“The job is not done just yet but, needing just one win in the last four games, I am hopeful we can achieve promotion.

“If we can get promoted then the aim will be to go on to win the title.

“We have led the way for such a long time, so it would be a real shame if we didn’t win it.

“Wick have slipped up in the last few matches but we just need to concentrate on ourselves.

“This week is going to be a massive one for us as on Wednesday we face Mile Oak in the Division 2 Cup semi-finals.

“Mile Oak beat us the last time that we played, so we know it is going to be a tough test.

“We could potentially secure promotion and make a cup final in a week. It’s a massive time for the club and I’m hoping we can achieve what we want here.”

United were missing six first team defenders for Saturday’s match and they fell behind on 15 minutes when Sam Henham netted.

The Mavericks levelled five minutes later, with a contender for goal of the season. A 20-pass move was finished off by a superb 25-yard strike from Scott Hunt.

Westfield took the lead for a second time soon afterwards, though, when Jethro Warren made it 2-1.

United got themselves back into the game for a second time seven minutes before the break through Paul Elliott.

The visitors were much improved in the second period and took the lead for the first time on 65 minutes when Aaron Hasan headed home a Wayne Joseph free kick.

Sam Blundell had two great opportunities to extend United’s advantage but shot wide on both occasions.

United did make sure of the victory 13 minutes from time, though, when Jacob Schilt side-footed into the empty net.

The Mavericks will look to seal promotion on Saturday when they host Bexhill.

United’s semi-final clash with Mile Oak takes place at Haywards Heath on Wednesday (7.30pm).

UNITED: Grimstone; Rahaman, Gilmour, MacNeill, Hasan; Edwards, Hunt, Schilt, Joseph; P.Elliott, Blundell. Subs: Wotherspoon (P.Elliott), O’Regan (Joseph), Nagle (Hunt), J.Elliott, Evans.