Rebels draw at home to Tooting

Trevor McCreadie
Trevor McCreadie
Share this article

WORTHING Football Club drew 1-1 at home to Tooting & Mitcham in Ryman League South Division this evening.

On a wet and miserable evening at Woodside Road, Rebels went ahead on six minutes, just moments after Tooting had a great opportunity to take the lead themselves.

Worthing keeper Jack Fagan denied Frankie Sawyer, who was through one-on-one, and from that Rebels broke forward and Harvey Sparks slipped a pass through for Omar Bugiel, who took a touch and coolly slotted home.

Rebels striker Trevor McCreadie shot just wide from 16 yards on 15 minutes when the visitors failed to clear their lines, before McCreadie then fired wide after Bugiel had burst forward five minutes later.

Tooting enjoyed a spell of pressure midway through the half and had a penalty appeal waved away when George Hayward missed the ball as he attempted to clear and it bounced up and hit his hand.

Sawyer fired well over from 25 yards on 39 minutes, before Worthing had penalty appeals of their own turned down when Bugiel went down under a challenge from Harry Knock.

Tooting levelled on the stroke of half-time when Rebels’ defenders left the ball to each other and Sawyer nipped in to lob Fagan from 18 yards.

Chances were few and far between at the start of the second half. Rebels had the first opening on 62 minutes but Curtis Gayler shot into the side netting from a tight angle after Brannon O’Neill laid the ball to him following a half-cleared cross.

Tooting almost took the lead on 69 minutes but Francis Quarm’s fantastic effort from 25 yards flew inches over.

Then, from a corner on 76 minutes, the visitors’ Danny Summers turned in the box but sliced his shot well wide.

Worthing had an excellent chance to go back ahead on 77 minutes when substitute Jaz Rance did well down the left and cut the ball back for the unmarked Hayward, who sliced the ball well wide from 15 yards.

The visitors could have gone ahead just four minutes later when Rebels gave the ball away and Sawyer put Summers through but his shot hit Fagan and went behind for a corner.

Tooting keeper Luke Badiali produced an outstanding one-handed save to keep out Bugiel’s header from six yards following Rance’s cross on 86 minutes.

Bugiel was superbly denied by Badiali again in the first minute of injury-time after he cut in from the right and unleashed a powerful left-footed drive.