Rebels lose at home to Albion development team

Rebels striker Trevor McCreadie
Rebels striker Trevor McCreadie

WORTHING Football Club suffered their first defeat of pre-season when they went down 2-0 at home to Brighton & Hove Albion’s development team this afternoon.

In front of a crowd of 438 at Woodside Road, Albion won with goals from Jimmy Muitt and Charlie Harris.

Albion led 2-0 at half-time through Muitt’s 33rd-minute goal and a Harris penalty on 44 minutes.

Brighton’s Charlie Harris fired a shot from distance just wide on four minutes, before the visitors’ Rod Ndiane was denied by a smart stop by Rebels keeper Jack Fagan on ten minutes. Daniel Pappoe headed the resulting corner over, before Rebels’ Curtis Gayler had a well-hit 25-yarder comfortably saved by Brighton keeper Josh Smith on 13 minutes.

Rebels stopper Jack Fagan pushed Jason Davis’s lob to safety on 28 minutes, before Worthing’s Luke Kilner cleared Glean Rea’s header from the resulting corner off the line.

Kilner cleared another Rea header off the line on 33 minutes, before Albion took the lead seconds later.

Rebels gifted the ball to Davis, who fed Muitt, the scorer of a hat-trick in Albion development team’s 4-0 win at Arundel last week, and he clinically fired low past Fagan from 18 yards.

Brighton doubled their advantage on the stroke of half-time from the penalty spot.

Brannon O’Neill brought down Davis - it looked to be outside the penalty area but a spot-kick was awarded - and Harris dispatched it high to Fagan’s left.

Albion could have added a third before the break but Fagan brilliantly tipped over Davis’s lob.

A number of substitutions took place at half-time and throughout the second half.

Albion half-time substitute George Cole volleyed the first opportunity of the second half over on 51 minutes after a deep crossfield pass.

Rebels’ first chance of the second half was a 20-yard O’Neill free kick, after a foul on Omar Bugiel, but his kick sailed well over on 56 minutes. The home side’s Bugiel, Alex Laing and Lloyd Dawes all then had shots blocked in quick succession two minutes later.

Muitt almost got his second on 64 minutes from Harris’s pass but Fagan kept out his deflected effort.

At the other end, Rebels’ Trevor McCreadie curled a 25-yard free kick straight at substitute Albion keeper Harry Doherty on 76 minutes.

Doherty denied McCreadie again on 81 minutes when he got down well to keep out the Worthing striker’s cross-shot, after he had got in down the right.

Brighton almost added a third with six minutes to go but Brad Barry was denied by a fine save from Fagan, who dived low to his right to turn the ball behind for a corner.

Rebels’ Bugiel blasted a powerful effort just over with three minutes to go.

WORTHING: Fagan, Hendon, Sparks, Heath, Kilner, Cody, Laing, O’Neill, Pope, Gayler, Dawes. Subs: McCreadie. Bugiel, Peake, Piper (Pope, Gayler, Kilner, Sparks 45), Barnes (Dawes 60), Hurley (Heath 67), Hayward, Berry (O’Neill, Laing 71), Simmonds (Cody 77), Nicholls, Cook (Hendon, Fagan 88).

ALBION: Smith, Ndiane, Hunt, Asmundsson, Pappoe, Rea, Deen, Harris, Muitt, Starkey, Davis. Subs: Doherty, Barry, Wiltshire, Cole (Smith, Ndiane, Deen, Starkey 45), Barclay, Starkey, Deen (Asmundsson, Harris, Davis 70), Davis (Muitt 75).