Rebels lose at home to Casuals

Lloyd Dawes
Lloyd Dawes
Share this article

WORTHING Football Club went down 3-1 at home to Corinthian Casuals in Ryman League South Division this evening.

Rebels were hoping to bounce back after a 2-1 opening-day defeat at Faversham but goals from Dave Hodges, Juevan Spencer and Jamie Byatt took Casuals into a 3-0 lead just past the hour mark. Lloyd Dawes got a goal back but the visitors held on for all three points.

Rebels trailed 1-0 at the break to Hodges’ 17th-minute goal in an opening half that had chances at both ends.

Worthing’s Dawes and Trevor McCreadie both had efforts well saved by Casuals keeper Danny Bracken in the early exchanges, before McCreadie had another shot from a tight angle pushed to safety on 15 minutes.

The visitors went ahead two minutes later when Jamie Byatt got away down the left and crossed for Hodges to volley into the roof of the net from six yards.

Hodges almost got a second soon afterwards but his dipping shot went just the wrong side of the post.

Casuals again went close to doubling their lead on 35 minutes when Juevan Spencer’s excellent cross from the right found Byatt unmarked at the back post and his downward header bounced up and came back off the bar.

Worthing almost levelled two minutes later when Alex Laing met Omar Bugiel’s low cross but Bracken produced another excellent stop to keep the shot out.

Rebels went close again three minutes into the second half when Bugiel’s clever reverse pass found Dawes, who attempted to curl the ball into the far top corner but Bracken pushed it over.

Casuals doubled their lead just a minute later when Rebels carelessly gave the ball away and Spencer rounded keeper Jack Fagan to tap into an empty net.

Worthing made a double substitution on 62 minutes but within seconds Casuals were 3-0 ahead as Byatt brilliantly volleyed into the far top corner from 15 yards after a long ball forward.

Rebels got a goal back with 18 minutes to go when Will Hendon did well down the left and his cross fell to Dawes, who crashed the ball home from ten yards.

Worthing were denied by the woodwork three minutes later when McCreadie volleyed against the bar, before he headed the rebound wide of the target.

Dawes then fired a low effort just wide from the edge of the area and McCreadie shot over as Rebels enjoyed a spell of pressure.

Bracken blocked Ben Pope’s poked effort after Bugiel’s ball over the top of the Casuals defence with six minutes to go.

Hendon again did well down the left in the final minute but his low cross just evaded McCreadie as Rebels were unable to set up a grandstand finish.