Rebels pull off FA Cup shock at Dulwich

Lloyd Dawes scored in Rebels win at Dulwich Hamlet.
Lloyd Dawes scored in Rebels win at Dulwich Hamlet.
Share this article

WORTHING Football Club pulled off an FA Cup upset as they beat Ryman Premier Divsion side Dulwich Hamlet in the first qualifying round on Saturday.

Brannon O’Neill bagged a brace and Lloyd Dawes scored as Rebels stretched their unbeaten run to six matches in all competitions.

Worthing first-team coach Jon Meeney was delighted with his side’s performance and said: “It was a really well deserved win for us.

“We knew it would be tough beforehand going to a team from a league above.

“But our level of work ethic and commitment was fantastic and it was a really good performance from us.

“We went two goals up and I was always thinking Dulwich would come back into the match, but they didn’t and it was a great victory for us.”

O’Neill opened the scoring with a free-kick that flew past the wall and beat Inigo Echepare in the Dulwich goal.

The visitors continue to dominate and nearly doubled their advantage but Omar Bugiel saw his shot saved.

Dulwich briefly responded as Dean McDonald found Laurent Hamici, whose shot was brilliantly tipped over by Jack Fagan in the Worthing goal.

Laurent Hamici then had a shot blocked, while Dean McDonald blazed a shot wide of the goal, as the hosts began to create openings.

Another piece of poor defending led from the hosts allowed Brannon O’Neill to curl curled home his second of the game on 34 minutes.

Trevor McCreadie should have made it three seven minutes before the break after the Dulwich keeper had misjudged a cross, but the Worthing striker blazed his volley over from close range.

Dulwich nearly pulled a goal back after Ibrahim Mansaray played in Michael Kamara but Fagan saved comfortably.

Mansaray then had a shot of his own that flashed across the face of goal.

However, that was about as close as the home side would get as they could string nothing of note together.

McCreadie went close for the visitors on 66 minutes, but Xavier Vidal had to block on the line following a corner.

Worthing then rounded off the scoring, as Lloyd Dawes beat the Dulwich defence and crashed a shot into the bottom corner, to extend Rebels’ unbeaten run to six.

The Rebels now face a trip to Conference South side Chelmsford City in the FA Cup second qualifying round on September 27.

WORTHING: Fagan; Hendon, Heath, Hurley, Nicholls, Sparks; Peake, O’Neill, Bugiel; McCreadie, Dawes. Subs: Pope (McCreadie), Hayward (O’Neill), Coady, Berry, Killner.

Worthing Rebels under-18 side are in action this Friday when they host Whyteleafe in the FA Youth Cup first qualifying round with a 7.45pm kick-off at Woodside Road.