Rebels record fourth successive win

Lloyd Dawes
Lloyd Dawes
  • Worthing end Whyteleafe’s eight-game winning run
  • Bugiel and Gayler net Rebels’ goals in the first half
  • Victory seals sixth place finish for Worthing

WORTHING Football Club ended Whyteleafe’s eight-match winning run with a 2-0 victory at Woodside Road this afternoon.

Whyteleafe had pipped Rebels to the final Ryman League South Division play-off place the previous week, when they defeated champions Burgess Hill 2-1.

However, Rebels have been in excellent form themselves in recent weeks and today’s success was their fourth victory on the bounce and also increased their unbeaten run to seven games.

The game was the final one to be played on grass at Woodside Road as work begins to construct a 3G surface on Monday and, in front of a crowd of 384, Rebels took all three points with goals from Omar Bugiel and Curtis Gayler.

Whyteleafe’s Jason Henry lobbed the first chance of the game over on five minutes, before Gayler blazed over when well placed four minutes later.

Rebels keeper Chris Cook comfortably saved a Jason Thompson free kick on 15 minutes, before Worthing took the lead just two minutes later.

Gayler sent in an inswinging free kick, which Bugiel nodded home from six yards as he netted for the fourth successive match.

Will Hendon did well to block a shot from Henry on 23 minutes and Worthing made it 2-0 three minutes later. Whyteleafe failed to clear their lines and the ball fell to Gayler, who took a touch and unleashed a superb 20-yard drive just inside the post.

Worthing almost added a third on 31 minutes when Hendon’s long throw found Lloyd Dawes but he blazed over from close range.

The visitors should have got a goal back seconds later when Roscoe D’Sane nipped in to win the ball off Jack Cook but then lobbed the ball just wide from 18 yards when through one-on-one.

Whyteleafe then had claims for a penalty on 38 minutes when D’Sane’s cross appeared to hit Corey Heath’s hand but referee Louis Marks waved play on.

Chances were few and far in the second half but Whyteleafe should have got a goal back on 63 minutes. Tom Pratt kept the ball in play as Rebels’ Jaz Rance looked to let it run out but his cross was headed wide from just three yards out by Henry.

Rebels then saw out the remainder of the game without further alarm as they sealed a sixth place finish.