Rebels record third successive victory

editorial image

RTHING Football Club recorded a third successive win on Saturday as they closed in on the Ryman League South Division play-off places.

After the playing budget was cut completely at the club last week, Rebels’ young squad again delivered on the pitch as they moved level on points with fifth-placed Whyteleafe, who drew 1-1 at home to Walton & Hersham.

Rebels manager Adam Hinshelwood said: “We had quite a few chances in the first half and it was quite expansive for an away performance.

“In the second half, we wanted to tighten things up a little bit and we said to our full-backs not to be quite so expansive.

“That gave us a more solid shape in the second half and we limited their chances.”

Saturday’s game at Klin Brow was Redhill’s first at home since November and Hinshelwood admitted the surface was a bit of a leveller.

Worthing started the game well and created several chances as former Rebels keeper Michael Hunter saved from Omar Bugiel and Jaz Rance, whose touch was too heavy which enabled Hunter to gather.

Rebels’ James Nicholls made an important block to deny Daniel Thompson, before Worthing went ahead on 24 minutes. Bugiel fired home his ninth goal of the season after Redhill failed to clear.

The hosts soon levelled as they broke forward and Connor French finished well from 15 yards.

Worthing keeper Jack Fagan denied Daniel Bennett and Reece Hall fired a cross-shot just wide, before Rebels went back ahead on 38 minutes. Lloyd Dawes’ shot was saved by Hunter but as John Boswell went to clear, his kick struck defensive partner Sean Loft and rolled into the goal.

Rebels then almost added a third before half-time but Will Berry headed Brannon O’Neill’s cross just wide.

Worthing kept Redhill chances to a premium in the second half as French twice headed over from corners and Thompson had an effort easily saved, before Fagan had to be alert to make a double save from Tyrone Pink and then Hall.

At the other end, Dawes volleyed Tariq Richards’ cross just wide, before Rance’s shot came back off a post late on after he was played in by Curtis Gayler.

WORTHING: Fagan; Hendon, Hurley, Nicholls, Sparks; Rance, Berry, O’Neill, Richards; Bugiel, Dawes Subs: Gayler (Dawes 70), Quirke (Richards 75), Piper, Gilbertson, Killner.