Rebels record third successive win

Rebels' Omar Bugiel (right)
Rebels' Omar Bugiel (right)

WORTHING Football Club moved up to sixth in the Ryman League South Division table with a 4-3 win over Guernsey this evening.

The visitors led at the break but Rebels won for the third successive match with second-half goals from Lloyd Dawes, Brannon O’Neill and Curtis Gayler, with two, as they moved 4-1 up before Guernsey grabbed two late goals back.

Guernsey took the lead after only 13 seconds. Rebels defender Will Berry passed the ball back to keeper Jack Fagan, who was closed down quickly by Young and the Guernsey man blocked the clearance before tapping home into the empty net from 15 yards.

Worthing dominated possession for the rest of the half but failed to take any of the openings that came their way.

Harvey Sparks had a low drive pushed round the post by Guernsey keeper Jakub Machlowski on seven minutes, before Omar Bugiel headed the resulting corner wide.

Ben Pope then headed well over on 12 minutes, before Sparks’ cross found Trevor McCreadie unmarked at the back post on 30 minutes but he was unable to get the ball under control and Machlowski was quick off his line to deal with the danger.

Pope headed another Sparks delivery from the left off target on 41 minutes, before Curtis Gayler’s powerfully-hit cross-shot was pushed clear by Machlowski in injury-time at the end of the first half.

Rebels began the second half brightly and a number of shots flew off target, before they levelled on 58 minutes. Brannon O’Neill sent a ball out wide to Lloyd Dawes, who cut in from the left and fired home a low right-footed from 15 yards.

Worthing went close on 67 minutes when Sparks’ well-hit low strike was saved low to his right by Machlowski, before Rebels went ahead two minutes later when Brannon O’Neill’s corner from the right flew straight in.

The hosts almost extended their lead on 74 minutes when O’Neill laid the ball back for Bugiel, whose superb half-volley was brilliantly tipped over by Machlowski.

Rebels moved 3-1 ahead on 78 minutes when Gayler fired the ball home low past Machlowski from 15 yards after McCreadie laid the ball back.

Worthing added a fourth just three minutes later when Gayler continued his stunning form in front of goal with his ninth goal in just four games when his corner from the left flew straight in.

Guernsey pulled a goal back in the final minute when Rebels failed to clear a long ball forward and Matt Loaring scrambled the ball home.

They then made it 4-3 when Dominic Heaume headed home in the third minute of injury-time but Worthing held on.

Rebels now trail Whyteleafe, who occupy the final play-off place, by just two points although they have played a game more.