Rebels suffer injury-time home defeat

Lloyd Dawes
Lloyd Dawes

WORTHING Football Club were made to pay for not taking their chances as they lost 2-1 at home to Walton Casuals this afternoon.

Rebels took the lead in the Ryman League South Division match after 31 minutes through Lloyd Dawes as they enjoyed the better of the first half. The visitors levelled through Scott Day on 58 minutes, before sub Nassim Dukali hit the winner three minutes into injury-time.

Dawes fired a low shot straight at Casuals keeper Tom Welham on six minutes, before Will Berry was just unable to get his head to Dawes’s shot to divert the ball goalwards three minutes later.

Berry turned and fired just wide from 18 yards on 14 minutes, before Ben Pope shot straight at Welham from ten yards after Tyler Mears’ slip let him in a minute later.

Worthing’s Curtis Gayler fired well over from 22 yards on 20 minutes, before Rebels took the lead on 31 minutes. Will Hendon broke forward and fed Omar Bugiel, who was tackled in the penalty area but the ball broke for Dawes, who skipped past a challenge and fired the ball home low inside the far post from the edge of the penalty area.

The hosts could have extended their lead before half-time. Bugiel was denied by Welham after a strong run forward on 34 minutes, Dawes shot straight at the visiting keeper two minutes later and Berry was unable to get enough on his shot from six yards on 38 minutes.

Rebels should have doubled their lead just 16 seconds into the second half as Pope squared the ball to Bugiel, who blazed over at the near post from inside the six-yard box.

Walton Casuals had their first effort on goal after 51 minutes when Scott Day’s low strike from 20 yards went straight to Worthing keeper Jack Fagan. Rebels went straight up the other end and almost went 2-0 ahead as Gayler’s 25-yarder bounced up awkwardly and was parried by Welham but Casuals’ stopper then blocked Bugiel’s follow-up.

Casuals sub Billy Dunn fired wide when he got through one-on-one after 56 minutes, before the visitors equalised just a minute later. Dunn broke down the left and his low cross was turned home at the back post by Scott Day.

Rebels almost responded immediately but Simon Huckle blocked Dawes’s goalbound effort on the hour.

Worthing should have moved back ahead on 67 minutes when Hendon played Bugiel through one-on-one but Welham kept out his shot from 12 yards with his legs.

Rebels went close again a minute later as Pope got clear but did not get enough on his lob over Welham and Huckle got back to clear. Bugiel then glanced a header just wide from Jaz Rance’s left-wing cross on 73 minutes as chances continued to fall Worthing’s way.

Casuals looked dangerous on the break and almost took the lead on 75 minutes when the ball fell to Nassim Dukali but Fagan kept out his low drive from eight yards.

Rebels had another opportunity on 79 minutes but Welham kept out Gayler’s powerful strike at the near post.

Worthing sub TJ Richards then shot straight at Welham on 87 minutes when a corner was only half-cleared.

Casuals then snatched the win in injury-time as Dukali’s shot from 15 yards went into the net, via a deflection off Rance.