Rebels sunk at home by Leatherhead

Share this article

Worthing Football Club’s winless run increased to six games on Saturday (January 5) with a 3-1 defeat at home to Leatherhead.

Rebels never got going in the Ryman League Division 1 South match and fell behind on 16 minutes. A fortunate rebound off Rebels’ Luke Gedling took the ball into the path of Tom Bradbrook and he coolly slotted home from 12 yards.

The visitors doubled their lead from the penalty spot three minutes before half-time. Steve Metcalf was adjudged to have fouled Mark Simmons as he challenged for a header and Tommy Hutchings, who had already missed two one-on-one openings, fired home the spot-kick.

Worthing got back into the game in spectacular fashion on the stroke of half-time when Chris O’Flaherty struck a 30-yard screamer into the top corner.

But Leatherhead regained their two-goal advantage four minutes into the second half when Hutchings won the ball after Matt Hurley’s poor pass out of defence, skipped past Josh Bryant and shot low past Rebels stopper Josh James.

Worthing’s Steve Metcalf had a header saved on the hour and Matt Daniel’s cross-shot hit the outside of a post in the closing stages but Leatherhead comfortably held on for all three points.

The defeat was Worthing’s ninth defeat in 12 home league games and saw them drop to 12th in the table.

Rebels joint manager Kieran Collins said: “We can’t keep making excuses as that’s four games and four defeats now.

“We got a lifeline with the goal on the stroke of half-time as we hadn’t played well in the first half.

“But we came out for the second half and gifted them a third goal within five minutes. Instead of pushing water up a hill, we were then pushing it up a mountain.”

On the home form, Collins said: “It’s so frustrating as we don’t do anything differently, apart from the travelling.”

Rebels even warmed up on the opposite side of the pitch to normal today and kicked towards the Woodside Road end in the first half but it did not change their home fortunes.