Rebels throw away three-goal lead as they draw with Herne Bay

Rebels boss Adam Hinshelwood
Rebels boss Adam Hinshelwood

WORTHING Football Club were forced to settle for a point in their Ryman League South game against Herne Bay at Woodside Road this evening.

Rebels led by three goals five minutes before the break, but a hat-trick for Stuart King meant both side’s took a point each from the game.

Herne Bay had the games first real opening on nine minutes when Jordan Casey played in Stuart King but he saw his shot saved by the feet of Jack Fagan.

It was Worthing who took the lead just three minutes later when Trevor McCreadie took a Lloyd Dawes strike in his path and poked an effort past Jack Delo in the Herne Bay goal.

The visitors should have been level just on 13 minutes as Casey crossed for King, though, his shot flashed across the face of goal.

Brannon O’Neill nearly doubled his side’s advantage on 22 minutes but his 20-yard volley was stopped by Delo.

Worthing made it two just three minutes later, though, as Lloyd Dawes beat two Herne Bay players before rifling a right-foot shot in to the top corner of the net.

Herne Bay thought they had pulled a goal back nine minutes later when Casey fired past Fagan from the edge of the box but his effort was ruled out for offside.

The home side then added a third five minutes before the break as Terry Dodd slotted a shot under Delo from the edge of the area to claim his first goal since returning to the club.

King then netted for the visitors a minute into first-half stoppage time with a crisp drive into the bottom corner to make it 3-1 at the interval.

McCreadie nearly bagged his second of the night three minutes after the break when he beat Delo to the ball, though, his chipped effort was blocked on the line by Gary Sayer.

Herne Bay got their second goal of the evening when King latched onto a Casey through ball before chipping past Fagan to bring the visitors within a goal of Worthing.

Dodd thought he had got his second of the evening on 62 minutes as he drove a half-volley goalwards but Delo pulled off a fine diving stop to keep his side in the contest.

Herne Bay nearly got themselves level with ten minutes left after Sam Hasler beat both Will Hendon and Corey Heath, though, he shot straight at Fagan as it remained 3-2.

King then completed his hat-trick and a remarkable comeback for the away side with a left-foot half-volley past Fagan as it finished three apiece.

WORTHING: Fagan; Hendon, Heath, Berry, Sparks; Bugiel, Hayward, O’Neill, Dawes; Dodd, McCreadie. Sub: Franks (Bugiel), Axell, Peake, Pope, Gayler (Dawes).