Second half strikes take Rebels to victory

Lloyd Dawes
Lloyd Dawes

Worthing Football Club struck twice in the second half to beat Chatham Town 2-0 at Woodside Road this afternoon.

Omar Bugiel scored from the penalty spot on 59 minutes, before Ben Pope made it 2-0 on 73 minutes as Rebels increased their unbeaten run to four games to stay second in the Ryman League South Division table.

In front of a crowd of 539, Rebels made a slow start and the visitors forced a couple of early corners, before Chatham’s Joe Loft had a low 25-yard shot comfortably saved by Worthing keeper Rikki Banks.

The hosts came to life midway through the half and went close twice in quick succession. Lloyd Dawes won possession 20 yards from goal and Pope then found Zack Newton, whose low strike from 15 yards was pushed round the post by Chatham keeper Jack Bradshaw.

Then Will Hendon went on a mazy run on 23 minutes and, after the ball rebounded off Bugiel to Ryan Quirke, who skipped past a couple of challenges but shot wide from ten yards.

Dawes then drove a shot straight at Bradshaw from Bugiel’s pass on 26 minutes, before Chatham had an effort ruled out for offside on 35 minutes. Luke Medley turned home Richard Davies’ low cross but the linesman’s flag ended the visitors’ celebrations as the match was scoreless at the break.

After a quiet opening to the second half, Rebels took the lead on 59 minutes. Moments after Ben Pope was just unable to get on the end of Bugiel’s cross, Rebels were awarded a penalty when Bugiel was tripped by Richard Davies. Bugiel picked himself up to send Bradshaw the wrong way from the spot to give Worthing the lead.

Rebels almost doubled their advantage on 67 minutes when Dawes let fly from 25 yards but Bradshaw did well to push the ball over the bar.

Worthing did go 2-0 ahead six minutes later when Newton got in down the right and his cross/shot was pushed away by Bradshaw to Pope, who headed against the bar from close range before he then nodded home the rebound.

Chatham almost got a goal back in the third minute of injury-time when Fred Osaba lobbed the ball just over. Worthing went straight down the other end and nearly got a third but Bradshaw kept out substitute Jack Barnes’ well-struck shot.

WORTHING: Banks; Hendon, Elphick, Heath, Sparks; Newton, Bugiel, Axell, Quirke; Dawes, Pope. Subs: Overton (Dawes 79), Piper (Quirke 82), Barnes (Pope 87), Metcalf, Fagan.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!