Swans take flight with first victory

Liam Humphreys
Liam Humphreys

STORRINGTON Football Club moved off the foot of the Division 2 table on Saturday with their first victory of the season.

Swans boss Nigel Dyer is now hoping the results will install some confidence into his side after their stuttering start to the campaign.

He said: “It was nice to get our first win of the season, we were solid defensively and with Matt Chester back in goal having a good game made the defence play with more confidence in front of him.

“We freshened it up a bit with a few changes although it took us a while for us to settle down, especially facing the sun against a strong wind.

“The result gives us some much-needed confidence for a tough game at Bexhill on Saturday.”

Saltdean were the better side first half with the better of the chances and more possession, but Storrington defended well.

Their best chance of the half was a free kick by Liam Humphreys which was met by a good save as the keeper put it against the post and out.

After changing a few things at half-time and with the sun and wind on their side, Swans started to take control of the game. The Saltdean goalkeeper made some good saves as Humphreys, Marcus Robertshaw and Tom Pickford all went close.

Swans had a good shout for a penalty turned down Robertshaw broke the deadlock on 65 minutes as he slotted past the oncoming goalkeeper.

He added a second on 78 minutes after snatching the ball from a defender and rounding the keeper for a simple tap in.

Dyer added: “That is four goals in the last two games for Marcus, who has settled in well at the club. Saltdean were still dangerous at times but it was good to see us defend well today.

“We finished the game on a high when a decent cross by man-of-the-match Marcus Robertshaw found Humphreys to head into the top corner to give us a deserved three points.”

STORRINGTON: Chester; Setchell, Elliott, Pickford, Watton: Jarvie, Humphreys, Pageter, Naylor; Robertshaw, Grispino. Subs: Rhodie, Bardealou.