United sunk late on at Arundel

WORTHING United Football Club were sunk by a last-minute winner away to Arundel on Tuesday evening.

Mullets eventually prospered in a game where there were several chances at both ends, in the second half especially.

Nathan Da Costa, of Arundel, roamed down the right wing early on, yet his cross into the penalty area was directed over by the right boot of the unmarked Rory Biggs.

United’s best first-half attempt at goal was an always-rising shot by Ali Giamattei from 20 yards out, despite early promise with a couple of long balls that tested the Mullets defence.

Arundel’s Josh Biggs was denied twice in quick succession as his firm shot rebounded off both goal posts, following Dave Herbert’s neat through ball on the right flank to set him up.

United’s half-time substitute Alex Staines forced Mullets keeper Matt May into a save soon after the break when he gathered a curling shot on course for the top-right corner at the second attempt.

A minute later, Mullets were again thwarted by the post. Striker Dave Herbert curled a brilliantly-executed central free kick flush onto the upright from just outside the area.

Mullets captain Dave Hall then dispatched two inch-perfect deliveries from free kicks into United’s six-yard box, yet neither were capitalised on.

United appeared increasingly capable on the counter attack and Tom Donnelly proved a regular livewire and almost sniffed a goal on the break, but stabbed a tame lob into the onrushing hands of May.

Donnelly was again productive after the hour mark as May tipped his hard drive at goal over the bar.

Mullets were inches from breaching the deadlock in the final quarter of an hour but Herbert flashed a shot from a tight angle on the right just wide.

The visitors should have won the match in the remaining 10 minutes but Sinan Ojerdedt missed a glorious tap-in chance at the far post.

Dean Lipscombe then curled a free kick a shade wide of the left-hand post five minutes from time and his team-mate Staines’ attempted chip went begging in a one-on-one situation.

They were made to pay when Mullets finally benefited from another great free kick delivery from Hall on the far left and Windsor soared to get the faintest touch on a header and secure Mullets’ third straight 1-0 victory at home.

United travel to Shoreham in the John O’Hara Cup second round on Saturday and are then at Horsham YMCA in the league on Monday (11am).