Waterlogged pitch forces Worthing postponement

Worthing Football Club's Alan Turvey Trophy quarter-final clash with Billericay Town at Woodside Road was postponed owing to a waterlogged pitch this evening.

Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 8:24 pm
Updated Tuesday, 31st January 2017, 8:48 pm
Worthing joint-manager Gary Elphick. Picture: Marcus Hoare

Persistent rain, followed by a heavy deluge an hour before kick-off left Worthing's 3G surface unplayable.

With Worthing expected to blood some of the youngsters in the last-eight tie, joint-manager Gary Elphick was left a little frustrated.

He said: "It is frustrating but there was not a lot that could have been done. The rain had been persistent most of the day, then a heavy downpour about an hour before kick-off left standing water on the pitch.

"I thought the 3G would have been able to hold up but in the end the rain was too heavy and stayed on the surface.

"If I'm honest, I don't think the break will be a bad thing for the squad. We've had a lot of games recently and it'll give everyone some added recovery time.

"Myself and Jon Meeney were looking to give some of the younger players a chance, so in that respect it's a little annoying as it would have given them a chance to show what they can do."

Worthing return to Ryman League Premier Division action on Saturday with Needham Market visiting Woodside Road.

Don't miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you'll be amongst the first to know what's going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news

3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald

4) Register with us by clicking on 'sign in' (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don't miss out!

The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.