Worthing held by second-bottom AFC Sudbury

Worthing Football Club were forced to settle for a point in their home Ryman League Premier Division clash with second-bottom AFC Sudbury this afternoon.

Saturday, 1st April 2017, 4:57 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:28 pm
Dan Summers played the full 90 minutes for Worthing this afternoon. Picture by Stephen Goodger

Dave Herbert - making his first start at Woodside Road for the club - had a first-half strike disallowed, while Dan Summers also went close but it finished 0-0.

Worthing were looking to make it back-to-back league victories after ending a nine game winless run by beating Merstham on Tuesday.

As it was they were forced to settle for a point, a result that sees them remain 13th in the table with four games to go.

Worthing made no changes from the team that beat Merstham four days previous with Brighton & Hove Albion loanee Tom Cadman handed his first home start.

After a quiet opening ten minutes, the game sprung into life. Joseph Marsden was played in behind, he then rounded Kieron Thorp in Worthing's goal, only for his effort to come back out of a post.

The home side countered immediately with Dave Herbert thinking he'd notched his maiden Worthing goal less than a minute later. Dan Summers sent Herbert away, whose first shot was saved by Marcus Garnham but he powered home the rebound - though the linesman's offside flag denied him.

Sudbury were looking dangerous in attack and were unfortunate not to go ahead after 15 minutes. Craig Parker's strike was well saved by Thorp, then Marsden's follow-up effort struck a post.

Worthing went close once again five minutes later with the ball falling fortuitously for Harvey Sparks on the edge but his dipping strike landed on the roof of the net.

Worthing had the first real chance of of the second, eight minutes after the restart. Jack Cook's long-ball found Summers who was in behind, though, he could only fire straight at Garnham.

Sudbury were pinned back in their own half with Worthing applying continued pressure. Sam Rents tried his luck from the edge on 68 minutes with Garnham parrying away, then pushing out with his over hand to prevent Sparks from slotting in the rebound.

Hendon and Sparks linked up nicely down the right but the latter's cross was blocked by James Baker three minutes from time.

Skipper Kane Wills whipped in a fine free-kick, which just evaded Summers after 89 minutes as it finished all square.

WORTHING: Thorp; Hendon, Cook, Cadman, Rents; Clark, Wills, O'Neill, Sparks; Herbert, Summers. Subs: Edwards, Pope (Herbert, 86), Newhouse (Clark, 83) Watson, Belward.