Worthing suffer home defeat to Dorking

Harvey Sparks
Harvey Sparks

WORTHING Football Club suffered a 4-2 defeat at home to Dorking Wanderers in Ryman League South Division last night.

Dorking went ahead through Phil Page’s penalty on 27 minutes but Rebels levelled through a Harry Shipton own goal four minutes before half-time.

The visitors went back ahead through Matt Briggs three minutes into the second half but they were reduced to ten men just six minutes later. Shipton was dismissed for fouling Ben Pope in the penalty area but Brannon O’Neill’s spot-kick was saved by Gary Ross.

However, O’Neill netted the leveller from 20 yards on 65 minutes, before Rebels had Omar Bugiel sent off after collecting two bookings in quick succession on 75 minutes.

Dorking went ahead for a third time nine minutes from time through substitute Shaun Findley, before Tom Tolfrey wrapped up the points in injury-time.

Rebels gave a first start to Jordan Clark, who joined from Horsham last week, as they set up in a 3-5-2 formation, with Clark partnering Steve Metcalf and Gary Elphick in central defence.

Dorking had the first opportunity of the match when Luke Hackett crossed from the right and Phil Page headed over from eight yards.

Rebels, playing against a blustery wind in the first half, almost took the lead three minutes later when Dorking keeper Ross could not get anywhere near O’Neill’s floated free kick and Gary Elphick’s header from six yards hit a post and went out for a goal kick.

O’Neill drove forward from midfield and saw an effort deflected wide on 15 minutes, before Worthing went close again ten minutes later.

Ryan Richefond broke up a Dorking attack and burst forward before finding Ben Pope, whose first effort was kept out by Ross and he fired the follow-up wide.

Dorking were awarded a penalty on 27 minutes as Metcalf caught Kev Terry, when it looked as though he was attempting to clear the ball. Metcalf was booked for the challenge and after Terry was treated for a couple of minutes, Page drove the spot-kick straight down the middle of the goal to give the visitors the lead.

Rebels went close to equalising on 33 minutes when Harvey Sparks played a one-two with Bugiel but his strike from 15 yards was saved low to his right by Ross.

Dorking had an effort disallowed on 37 minutes when Terry’s corner hung in the air and Chris Boulter headed home at the back post but referee Benjamin Knight had already blown his whistle for a foul.

Rebels levelled four minutes later when Bugiel went on an excellent run and skipped past several challenges, before his effort was saved by Ross but Dorking defender Harry Shipton could only turn the ball into his own net as he attempted to clear.

Dorking were gifted the lead back just three minutes into the second half when Clark did not get enough on his back pass to Banks and Briggs nipped in to fire home.

O’Neill shot over from the edge of the area a minute later, before Rebels had a penalty appeal for handball turned down from Will Hendon’s cross shortly afterwards.

Rebels were awarded a penalty on 54 minutes, though. Sparks won possession when a Dorking defender dallied and he crossed for Ben Pope, who was fouled by Shipton as he was about to tap home.

Shipton was red-carded for denying a goalscoring opportunity but O’Neill’s low spot-kick was pushed on to a post by Ross, who then gathered the ball.

O’Neill then shot well over on 62 minutes, before he levelled just three minutes later when he fired home from 20 yards after a short corner was played back to him.

With the strong wind behind them, Rebels continued to press forward and Dawes cracked a shot just wide after a fine run from Hendon, Ross did well to keep hold of Sparks’ low cross and O’Neill was then denied by an excellent save from Ross.

Bugiel was sent off for two bookings in quick succession after 75 minutes as the game became ten on ten for the closing stages.

The visitors went ahead for a third time with ten minutes left when Rebels failed to clear a cross from the right and Dorking substitute Findley was on hand to slot home from close range.

Worthing pressed for a third leveller and three O’Neill corners caused problems, before a Ben Pope flag-kick was clawed off the line by Ross and Dawes toe-poked an effort straight at Ross after a mazy run.

Ross then produced an outstanding save to deny Elphick in the first minute of injury-time, before the visitors sealed the three points deep in injury-time when Tolfrey slotted home after Banks had denied Briggs.

WORTHING: Banks; Hendon, Metcalf, Elphick, Clark, Sparks; O’Neill, Richefond, Bugiel; Pope, Dawes. Subs: Axell, Fagan, Overton, Waller, Edwards.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!