Worthing United settle for a draw

Share this article

WORTHING United Football Club settled for a home point on Tuesday night in County League Division 1 against third-place Peacehaven – despite joint manager Tobi Hutchinson feeling they had the better chances to win it.

It finished 0-0 and United, who finished with 10 men after Leo Day was sent off for swearing with 15 minutes left, had Hutchinson himself sent to the stands for four minutes, and despite being unhappy with the referee, it didn’t dampen the manager’s mood about his sides’ performance.

He said: “I thought we had the better chances although they dominated possession, especially for the first 10 minutes or so.

“We set up a little differently, with five across the middle or three depending on how you want to look at it, so it took us a while to settle, but once we did we were the better side.

“They never really looked like they were going to score, which was great for us as it was our first clean sheet of the season, so we were delighted with that.”

Liam Baitup and Alex Haffenden both went close for United in the latter of the first half.

As Baitup decided to take a touch on a ball played in from the right, when he should have hit it first time.

Haffenden put a header just over the bar, while they also had an effort cleared off the line from a corner.

The only downer on the evening was Day seeing red for swearing at a player when being spoken to for a tackle.

Hutchinson said: “The ref was atrocious, there is no getting away from it, we are getting the raw deal when playing against bigger names and teams.

“Leo got pulled up for a nothing tackle and swore at his mate and got sent off for it.

“If everyone had been sent off for swearing last night we would have had two players left on the pitch.”

Worthing United progressed into the second round of the Sussex Senior Cup on Saturday as they came away from a tricky trip to division-lower Bexhill with a 3-2 win.

United had got off to a bad start when Liam Miles headed Bexhill ahead in the third minute, but they responded well and levelled through Baitup, who slotted in on 27 minutes.

Ryan Alexander and Marcus Robertshaw both struck to double Mavericks’ lead after the break, and they then spurned a plethora of chances.

Baitup and Alexander went close, Day had a header saved, Simon Catt hit the post, Tom Rowe hit the keeper when well placed.

Ben White pulled a goal back for Bexhill late on, but United held on.

Joint manager Tobi Hutchinson said: “We battered them and should have had six or seven, they’re not a bad side and were up for it, but it’s a step in the right direction and we’re looking strong.

“Alex Haffenden was outstanding for us and Marcus Robertshaw looks a good signing, it’s a big positive for us and we’ve got a settled side, which also helps.”

UNITED v Peacehaven: Oldroyd; Chapman, Head, Haffenden; Gathern, Mann, Robertshaw, Catt, Alexander; Day Baitup. Subs: Schaff (Baitup 85), Humphreys, Rowe, Bywater, Thompson.

v Bexhill: Oldroyd; Gathern, Rowe, Bywater, Haffenden; Day, Catt, Alexander; Robertshaw, Baitup, Schaff. Subs: Chapman (Rowe 66), Gilmour, Humphreys (Schaff, Robertshaw 72), Jenkins.

nFerring Football Club exited the Division 3 Challenge Cup on Saturday with a 3-1 defeat at TD Shipley.

Having gone a goal down, Ferring equalised before the break, but the home side scored twice in the second half to advance into the second round.

Ferring host Hassocks Reserves in the Intermediate Cup second round on Saturday.