Spring has sprung - and Marine Gardens bowlers are getting excited
Daffodils are blooming, the clocks go forward next weekend, and on April 17, members of Marine Gardens BC will be gambolling across the green like so many spring lambs. Well, two out of three isn’t bad, writes Terry Urben.
After the extensive renovations undertaken by Ben Harwood and his team at Complete Turf Care, the green will be open for business on that day.
The first week of the new season will be for members’ practice sessions only. The formal opening drive, where the president and captain will deliver the ceremonial first bowls of summer, takes place the following Saturday, April 24, at 1.30pm.
The club will continue to observe all prevailing Covid restrictions and safety guidelines. However, they hope to enjoy a full quota of 80-plus matches, comprising many friendly games alongside competitive play in the West Sussex, Stracey and Brodie leagues.
The popular Tuesday morning triples league will return, as will a full hand of 12 internal competitions.
Key dates and information for members and supporters is as follows:
1) Saturday, April 17 at 1.30pm, green re-opens for members only.
2) Saturday, April 24 at 2pm – formal opening ceremony followed by a club drive.
3) Saturday, May 1 at 2pm – Ladies v Gents; our annual battle of the sexes.
4) Sunday, May 2 and May 16 from 11am to 3pm – two open days for prospective new members. All equipment will be provided, there’s no charge and no obligation to join. Please come and try this great game.
5) Tuesday, May 18 at 2pm – Captain v Vice-captain. A duel between teams representing club captain Michael Ives and vice-captain and club president Jill Colbourn.
6) Friday, May 21 at 2pm – the club’s supreme champion clash will see the 2020 ladies’ champ take on the 2020 men’s champ. This competition has been contested four times and the ladies and gents have two wins apiece. Who will emerge victorious in 2021? The smart money is on ladies’ champ and club secretary Jenny Ashman. Who is stepping up for the men? Your hapless correspondent!
7) Friday, July 2 at 2pm – President’s Day. A fun match for club members with; regulations permitting, plenty of home-made cake.
8) Wednesday, July 7 at 2pm – Captain’s Day. A fun match for club members with; regulations permitting, more home-made cake.
9) Saturday, August 7 at 2pm – President v Captain. A fun match for club members, but with an edge because the Jubilee Trophy is at stake. But to lighten the mood there may be more cake...
10) Sunday, August 22 – the annual Captain’s Charity Day. For 2021 Mike Ives has nominated the excellent and highly deserving Chestnut Tree House hospice.
The club will be raising funds throughout the season, but this special day is the major moneyspinner.
Fun games on the green; stalls of books, bric-a-brac, cake for sale and more.
Please come and support Marine Gardens BC as they celebrate 91 years of bowling enjoyment this summer.
They make no pretence of being the most competitive club in town. They give everyone a fair go and the emphasis is firmly on fun and friendship.
Occasionally, a game of bowls breaks out too.
If that sounds appealing, then please come along to the open days on May 2 and May 16; 11am to 3pm. If you can’t make those dates, contact club secretary Jenny Ashman on 01903 505077 or email [email protected] to make alternative arrangements. You will be made most welcome.