Raiders back to winning ways with home victory

Worthing Raiders Rugby Club got back on the winning trail with a hard-fought 21-15 National 2 South victory over Cinderford at Roundstone Lane on Saturday.

Monday, 26th September 2016, 7:29 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 2:56 am
Alex Nielsen looks to go on a run forward against Cindeford on Saturday. Picture: Stephen Goodger

Alex Wilcockson was the match-winner for Worthing as he produced two moments of magnificent individual skill to help his side to victory.

After winning both of their opening two league matches, Raiders fell to a first defeat at Bury St Edmunds last time out, however Worthing swiftly got back to winning ways to make it two out of two at home this season.

James Moffat fired Cinderford into an early lead after Raiders had conceded an early penalty in front of the posts.

Alex Nielsen is tackled by a Cinderford player on Saturday. Picture: Stephen Goodger

Both sides were attacking each other, without being able to go over for a score, before Matt McLean’s penalty hauled the home side level on 16 minutes.

With Cinderford in control of the game, Worthing began to exert some real pressure and Wilcockson went over for the first try of the afternoon after 25 minutes.

Finlay Coxon-Smith’s superb offload found Wilcockson who embarked on a 40-yard run before going over.

McLean made no mistake with his conversion to fire Raiders into a 10-3 lead.

Both sides cancelled each other out for the remainder of the first half, with Worthing going in seven points up.

Cinderford were back to within four points just a minute after the break as Moffat successfully fired over a penalty.

Although Raiders were looking dangerous, their game was peppered with errors and Cinderford closed the gap even further five minutes later.

Worthing were once again penalised with a penalty awarded and Moffat was on hand to convert leaving Raiders with a 10-9 advantage.

Following a number of penetrating drives forward, Worthing were awarded a penalty of their own on 64 minutes as McLean opened up a small lead margin once again.

But back came Cinderford and two more penalties were handed to them before 70 minutes had been played, with Moffat converting both to fire the away side into a lead for the first time.

With eight minutes left, McLean fired Raiders back in front with a penalty, before Wilcockson bagged his and Worthing’s second try on 75 minutes.

McLean couldn’t convert but with time running out Raiders now lead 21-15.

Worthing were left hanging on at the end as Scott Barlow was shown a yellow card leaving the home side to hang of with 14-men but they did to seal a third victory from four this season.

Raiders make the trip to Old Elthamians in the league on Saturday.

RAIDERS: Storer, Harris, Burns, Barlow, Redmayne, Smith, White, Perkins; Peach, Leeming, Nielsen, Richards, Wilcockson, Coxon-Smith, McLean. Subs: Hadfield, Sargent, Gatford, Lake, Govett.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.